A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HEMPSTEAD CHURCH OF CHRIST
In the late 1880’s J. D. Tant held evangelistic meetings in Hempstead. The Gospel was preached in tents and in school houses. D. H. Williams helped to establish the first congregation in 1895. They purchased land and erected a church building in 1901. But in 1920, the church property was sold and sometime later the congregation disbanded. Preachers during this decade included C. R. Carter, D. F. Draper and Z. T. Winfree.
In 1938 the congregation was again organized. The J. C. Peyton, The Charlie Chamberland, The Shelby Cain and The Jeff Smith Families were the charter members. They met in homes and later in The Hempstead Community Center.
The congregation flourished and in 1948 property was bought on 6th street and a church building was completed in 1949 at 1016 6th street. The church continued to grow and a larger house of worship was erected in 1953 at the corner of Sixth and Main streets. The ministers during this period included Lynn Sparks, David Arrington, Marvin Powell and Truman Smith.
In 1966 the church purchased additional property for parking. By 1972 the congregation had grown to 96 members. By 1979 an Education/Fellowship wing was added to accommodate their growth and later the entire city block was purchased for future expansion. Preachers who served during this time included Bruce Beard, Melvin Anderson, Famous Byers, Milton Austin, H. I. Taylor, Tom Ruble and Richard Trull.
The church entered 1980 with 150 members and was very active in local and mission evangelism and benevolence. During this decade Don Sowders and Tim Ousley served as ministers.
In May of 1995 the church property and buildings on 6th street were sold to Community Christian Academy. In June of that year property was purchased on FM 359 and construction on a new facility began in April, 1996. The church and the academy shared the the building on sixth street until the new building east of town was completed.
On Sunday, September 29, 1996 the first worship service in the new building was conducted and 233 people attended. The dedication of the new building was held on November 24, 1996. The 81 member congregation experienced increasing attendance and additional members through the end of 1996. On March 29, 1998 the church celebrated 60 years of ministry with a Homecoming Service. George Carmen and Eugene Dewveall were the ministers during this decade.
By January 1, 2000 the church had grown to 119 members and had outgrown its new building. Before that year was over construction began to expand the facilities to 12,800 square feet by doubling the size of the auditorium and tripling the fellowship area and adding 9 new classrooms and 3 new offices. Leslie Boone and Eugene Dewveall were the ministers during this decade.
In September, 2013 the congregation celebrated its 75th Anniversary and invited Pat Richardson and George Carmen as special speakers. The attendance that day was 223.
As this part of our history concludes, the church is served by Eugene Dewveall as Pulpit Minister and Michael Thys as Family And Youth Minister.